Who can participate?
Everyone and anyone! Riders of all speeds, ages, and ability are invited to meet at PICA at 10:00 on Saturday 12 December. PICA is the common name for what’s now called the Perth Cultural Centre: it’s the ampitheatre-esque space with all the steps outside the Alexandar Library at the culdesac end of James St in Northbridge; the other side of the pedestrian walkover from Perth train station. Here’s a map!
Together, we will enjoy a short cycle tour — ending in a support ride for the Walk Against Warming and calling for action on climate change. The ride will end with festivities in the park at nearby Russell Square. Along with shade and a well-earned rest, there’ll be live bands, speakers, stalls and food!
What to do
- Tell your friends, family, work and cycling mates about the Ride, and send them to this website!
- Form your own ‘Ride for Change’ group (we’re calling them ‘pods‘) and arrange to ride or catch the train in together on the day. You can contact us and we’ll post the details up here to let others know so they can join you (but only if you want to!).
- Keep an eye on the website here for details about group ride pods heading in to PICA
- And if you Twitter, follow us @rideforchange. (Bit dubious about this whole Twitter thing? Well so were we until very recently! But check out the role it played in the current Australian federal political turmoil just recently for an example of why it works…)
And on the day
- Bring your bike bell — ring in unison!
- Wear bright clothes (eg, yellow), your cycle group jersey, or dress up in a theme!
- Don’t forget water, sunscreen, and your helmet.
- Cycle at own risk, so please show courtesy and obey road rules
But please don’t be daunted if you’re worried about safety! We’ve done this before and there will be people to help you and to look after you, including some who will have the job of watching for and, if necessary, negotiating with other road users. We all ride at our own risk, but together we can watch out for each other and the collective whole.